Tuesday, July 22, 2014

More on the motor...And questions too!

So, I've started to ask questions of the gear heads at work. Since none of them are VW people, at all, I can only ask the typical gear head questions. The rest I've been leaving for TheSamba.com.

I've been asking questions about the engine tin, should I powder coat or should I paint?

I've also been researching what original colors of the engine were from the factory. There is tons of information on thesamba.com, almost too much. I'm looking for someone who knows what the colors were on the motor. The intake manifold, the tin mounting screws, the tin, pretty much everything. I cam across a pic on thesamba.com that I would be pretty happy having mine look like.
All credits due to the owner of this picture, its not mine.
Engine kits, should I get the ones from Mid America? or find authentic VW? I would love to keep this fully VW as possible. I've seen many people say I have this Thing and the engine case starts with 211, does that mean its a bus motor?. Which some answer them YES, however, I have with reasonable certainty that mine is the original motor, and its case is a 211 part number.
Motor case part number
Motor serial number
I'm going to start taking the motor apart, hopefully with my redneck garage I'll be able to keep the parts organized. I am going to try and determine if my case has been line bored so that I know what size bearings I need. I would love to be able to get full VW kit, but it sounds like pulling teeth, and it will probably only matter to me. It won't make much of a difference at car shows.
http://www.mamotorworks.com/VW/product/major-engine-overhaul-kit-for-1600cc-dual-port-engine-without-fuel-injection_300184

I do know one thing for sure, I need to get the books that everyone keeps talking about. Well at least the Wilson OR the Bentley book. These seem to be mentioned the most.
http://www.mamotorworks.com/VW/product/how-to-rebuild-your-vw-air-cooled-engine-book_308340
Not sure if this one is the correct one for a Thing but it seems the closest
http://www.mamotorworks.com/VW/product/manual-robert-bently-factory-service_301240
I would love some comments from Volkswagen veterans, I am working up the courage to go talk to a neighbor two doors down. I'm not sure what his attitude is towards me as we've had some interesting conversations, some political, that since then he hasn't cared to talk to me. But maybe its just a coincidence and I shouldn't have anything to worry about.

I have a coworker who is currently building a 1933 Ford whom I've helped with an Arduino driven dome light controller, is going to loan me an engine stand, I just need to get the compatible bracket for the VW.

Again thanks to all the readers, and PLEASE leave comments below if you have suggestions or questions. I'm very excited to be working on this.

~James

No comments:

Post a Comment