Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Deep motor teardown, looks good, oh wait, uh oh.....

So I started tearing in to the motor deeper today, pulling off heads and whatnot, only after getting a load of dishes started. I first started to notice that 2 of the studs on the right side (1 & 2) were bent, this might mean that the motor was rebuilt before.

But I took off the head for initial inspection. I don't fully know what specific things I'm looking for, but it does look like there was a lot of carbon buildup, not a big deal.

Then I started to take off the cylinders, again, they dont look too bad, but I should've waited until I had the motor more torn down before I power washed it. It caused a little bit of rusting in the cylinder from just sitting a week, but nothing deep. It can still be honed out if needed, haven't decied yet what I'm going to do for a rebuild kit.
I then started to take the studs out, and as I mentioned above a couple of them were bent. This may mean that it was rebuilt before, but it may mean nothing.

What concerns me the most is after I pulled off the #1 piston, there was considerable slop between the rod and the crank. I'm talking like 1/8", major. So there is a good chance I'll need new rods and crank.
 
 
I hope the rest of the build doesn't look bad. As long as the line bore that may be needed doesn't put it out of spec. I'd be pretty bummed if I had to change the case out.

No comments:

Post a Comment